Jesus and his disciples were at supper. Jesus, knowing that the Father had given him all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet… - John 13: 2 – 5
The Service and Justice Program seeks to provide you with the opportunity to witness your commitment to Christian values through service to the wider community. As much as possible, your service should involve direct interaction with people and should address injustices in the wider community. You may not miss any school time to complete service work.
Service Learning in Solidarity
Service Learning in Support
Service in Solidarity are hours in which students perform service with an outside agency that serves the wider community. Students can meet the Service in Solidarity requirement through a variety of unique and diverse opportunities. Students may choose to do:
Service in Support is an opportunity for students to serve as an ambassador of the Mitty community beyond normal school expectations (academic, athletic, performing arts, club, or other departmental expectations). Students can count up to five hours of Service in Support. These hours will be submitted by the director of the approved program and added to a student's Campus Ministry profile by the Coordinator of Service and Justice. These opportunities will be decided upon and approved by the directors of the programs. The pre-approved list for Service in Support opportunities include:
Step 1: Make a Service Plan
- Discuss with your family how you would like to complete your service requirement.
- If you need help finding an agency, click here to see examples of our partner agencies. These are just examples - your service agencies do not have to be on this list.
Step 2: Complete your Service Learning Proposal
- Complete the Service Learning Proposal and submit to your Religious Studies Course's Canvas Page. If you are completing during the summer (prior to the beginning of the school year), you may bypass this step and complete it later. Please, however, make sure your service fits the requirements:
- Volunteer - must be unpaid
- Direct - must be in person
- With a non-profit agency
- Not a fundraising effort
- Not politically affiliated
Step 3: Perform your service
- Schedule appointments with your agency.
- Perform your service with the mindset that all individuals are created in the image and likeness of God.
Step 4: Log your hours
You have two options to verify your hours:
- Click here to download and print the Log Sheet and bring it to be initialed by the supervisor at your agency. Once you have completed your service have the Log Sheet signed at the bottom by the supervisor (parent cannot sign as a supervisor). OR
- Have the agency provide a letter of verification on official stationary.
Step 5: Record and Submit your hours
- Click here to enter/update your service hours.
- Submit your Log Sheet to your Religious Studies teacher for verification in the Campus Ministry Database by April 3rd or 4th (depending on when your Religious Studies class meets).
Step 6: Complete your requirement
- Follow your teacher's instructions for the Service Reflection.
Step 7: Continue your hours
- Click here if you are interested in learning more about the St. Francis of Assisi Service Award!
Congratulations on completing your hours and engaging in important service and relationship building in our community!
At the start of each academic quarter, your Religious Studies teacher will set aside time to discuss service progress. You will be required to log in and enter the hours you have completed as of that date. This will allow your teacher and guidance counselor to view your progress and give you support and help if necessary.
By the due dates posted above, you must provide written verification that you have completed at least 20 hours at one service agency through a signed Log Sheet or a letter from your adult supervisor. Submit this to your Religious Studies teacher, who will check your form(s) and verify your hours in the database.