Jesus and his disciples were at supper. Jesus, knowing that the Father had given him all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet… - John 13: 2 – 5
The Christian Service Program seeks to provide you with the opportunity to witness your commitment to Christian values through service to the wider community. Due to the COVID-19 social distancing guidelines, Christian Service requirements will be modified for the 2020-21 school year. Our traditional requirements to complete a minimum of 20 hours of direct interaction will be reduced to 10 hours of service without the in-person or the junior/senior marginalized population requirements. See below for more information.
There are two ways to fulfill the Christian Service requirement for the 2020-21 school year:
Service in Solidarity (10 Hours)
Service in Support (10 Hours)
Service in Solidarity are hours in which students perform service with an outside agency that serves the wider community. Students can meet the Service in Solidarity requirement through a variety of unique and diverse opportunities. Students may choose to:
Service in Support are hours in which students are dedicating time to serve as an ambassador of the Mitty community beyond normal school expectations (academic, athletic, performing arts, club, or other departmental expectations). At least ten hours of work must be completed to count as Service in Support. These hours will be submitted by the director of the approved program and added to a student's Christian Service profile by the Christian Service Coordinator. These opportunities will be decided upon and approved by the directors of the programs. The pre-approved list for Service in Support opportunities include:
Interested in learning more about how to fulfill your Christian Service Requirement? Watch this instructional video for more info!
Please watch this instructional video about how to log/verify your hours.
Step 1: Choose Your In-Person Agency or Virtual Project
- Discuss with your family how you would like to complete your service requirement. As our social contact is potentially limited this school year, we ask that you use your best judgement to make a plan for service.
- If you need help finding an agency, click here to see the Pre-Approved Agencies.
- Some agencies on this list have made adjustments due to social distancing requirements. Make contact with the agency to be sure they are accepting youth volunteers at this time
- If you know where you want to volunteer, but it is not on the pre-approved list, you need to fill out a Christian Service Proposal.
- For ideas of a virtual project, click here for ideas. You may also find one on your own. Once you have decided on your project, you need to fill out a Christian Service Proposal. Hours will only count if the project is approved.
Step 2: Complete your Intent to Serve
- Click here to complete the Intent to Serve Form.
- Click here to complete the Parental Authorization Form with your parents
Step 3: Perform your service
- Schedule an appointment with your agency or if you are doing a project virtually, make sure you will be able to accomplish all the steps needed to complete a project. If you are working on a virtual project, or at an agency without clients, send us photos and videos of your work!
- Perform your service with the mindset that all individuals are created in the image and likeness of God.
Step 4: Verify your hours
You have two options to verify your hours:
- Click here to download and print the Verification of Hours Form and bring it to be signed by the supervisor at your agency. If you are doing a virtual project and there is no adult supervisor, you may have a parent sign your verification form.
- Have the agency provide a letter of verification on official stationary.
Step 5: Record your hours
- Click here to enter/update your service hours.
Step 6: Complete your requirement
- Follow your teacher's instructions for the Christian Service Reflection.
- Turn in your completed Verification Form to your teacher for verification in the Campus Ministry Database by Second Semester Week 14, Day 1
Step 7: Continue your hours
- Click here if you are interested in learning more about the St. Francis of Assisi Service Award!
Congratulations on completing your hours!
At the start of the second semester and at various other times during the year, your religious studies teacher will require you to log in and enter the hours you have completed as of that date. This will allow your teacher and guidance counselor to view your progress and give you support and help if necessary.
By the due dates posted above, you must provide written verification that you have completed at least 10 hours at one service agency through a signed Verification Form or a letter from your adult supervisor. Submit this to your religious studies teacher, who will check your form(s) and verify your hours online.